Thursday, August 30, 2018

Witch Kitty Shaker Box

Hi again, readers. As I'm typing this I'm staring at a large, strange bug on the outside of my window and it's rather terrifying. So proceed with that in mind. 😂 Today, I have a really cute little halloween treat box that I made using the Lawn Fawn Fancy Box die. This is an entry for both the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge - Fall/Autumn, and Wednesday challenge - Anything Goes.


I started by cutting the main box piece from some double sided patterned paper, using the little space and stars pattern as the outside of the box. I knew I wanted to use my new Mama Elephant Meowlloween set, so I decided to make the little witch cat fly through the air on her special golden broom.


Before assembling the box, I used the coordinating oval window die that comes in the Fancy Box die set to cut a hole in the  top of the box because I wanted to make a shaker. I haven't made a shaker in a long time, so I was slow and confused most of the time, but it came back, just like riding a bike. 😜 I cut a piece of acetate the same size as the box lid, then glued that directly to the inside of the box lid. This waas the front window of the shaker, Then I placed foam tape cut into thin strips along the edges of the acetate to make a raised area and seal for the shaker contents. I did two layers of this. Then I threw in some gold glitter, and black and orange seed beads. Like I said, I haven't made a shaker in a hot minute, so now I'm wishing I had added more shaker goodies!


I then cut another piece of acetate the same size as the first (the size of the box lid) to serve as the back window of the shaker. I could have used a piece of patterned paper or something, but I wanted the goodies inside to also be visible from the outside through the shaker window. However, this posed the problem of the foam tape showing. I happened to have some washi tape that was about the same width as the foam tape I needed to cover up. It was white and black thin stripes and to me, the inside pattern of the box kind of had an old-school wallpaper vibe. Like something you might find in an old abandoned Victorian-era manor. When I combined the washi with the patterned paper, I got major Haunted Mansion vibes. Anyone else? Kinda spooky vintage? Just me being weird? 😂


Next, I heat embossed the witch cat from Meowlloween in black, and the broom and "boo to you" sentiment from the same set in gold. I put this card together over a few days, so I started by watercoloring the body of the cat a dark grey.


Then a few days later, when I was ready to finish the coloring, I had already put my watercolors put up and didn't want to get them out again (😩 leave me alone! lol), so I decided to color in just the little details left with my Polychromos colored pencils. It was fortuitous that I embossed the gold elements on black card stock, because I think colored pencils pop much better on black versus white! I just used a purple for the details on kitty's hat and dress, and a brown for the broom. After all the coloring, I fussy cut everything out.


I then put a foam square on witch kitty and stuck her in the left corner. I put another foam square (what can I say? I'm a sucker for dimension 😂) on the square I had cut out with the "boo to you" sentiment, and adhered that to the bottom right. Finally, I used just a bit of Multi Medium Matte on the bottom of the cat in order to adhere the broom, to make her look like she was flying through the night sky.


I thought the night sky needed some twinkle, so I used a few Pretty Pink Posh "metallic gold" gems to give it a little more sparkle. And last but not least, what's a treat box without a little treat? I save up my lollipop treats from the Simon Says Stamp monthly kits for when I get a sweets craving, and these are two of them! So thanks for the props, Simon! 😂 And a big thank you all for stopping by and reading about this project. Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment