Friday, August 31, 2018

Blue and Persimmon Bubble Kisses

Hello again everyone! I'm back with something different for me. I've never done a challenge by My Favorite Things, and I've never done a color challenge before (I don't think? 😕). It was exciting and a little difficult, I'm not going to lie. I am entering this card in the My Favorite Things Color Challenge 100 and the current Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge. This was the color palette provided by MFT for the challenge: 
Image courtesy of the MFT card challenges blog
For the first two blue colors, I immediately thought of the new Stormy Sky and Tumbled Glass Distress Oxide inks that I got in the August Simon Says Stamp monthly kit. Kraft is a pretty easy given, I think, but I very rarely use kraft in my card making, and I have no idea why. I guess I just sort of forget it exists sometimes? 😂 The curve ball to me was persimmon. I'm honestly not a very adventurous color mixer (perfect challenge for me to participate in, huh?) and I would never have thought to mix an orange-y red with two pale blues. But I love the result!


I started by heat embossing a piece of kraft card stock with clear embossing powder using Simon Says Stamp's Diamond Pattern background cling stamp. The result was cute, but it ended up looking mostly like brown embossing powder to me. I don't know if that's a thing? 😂 I was hoping it was look somehow.. cooler? It does look pretty neat when the gloss catches the light, though! 


I then did some Distress Oxide resist ink blending over the clear embossing using Stormy Sky and Tumbled Glass, working from opposite corners to meet in the middle. Honestly, I think I'm having trouble with my Stormy Sky ink pad. Maybe it's meant to be a rather translucent shade, but I can't seem to get it to look much different than Tumbled glass. Or to look like anything, really. Maybe my ink pad is dry? So I was hoping for a little more blue contrast in the background, but that's okay! I then cut the piece down using the second largest frame from my Kat Scrappiness Wonky Wavy Stitched Rectangle dies. Then I adhered the piece to a plain kraft A2 card.


I decided to use my MFT Bubble Over With Joy set for this one, since the blue reminded me of the bubbles. I heat embossed two bunnies, and two "hollow" bubble sets onto kraft, then stamped three "solid" bubble stamps using Stormy Sky, also on kraft. I also used a white gel pen to color in the highlight area the stamps for these bubbles. After die cutting them all out, I did a little bit of light coloring with Polychromos colored pencils. I colored the bubbles blue with white highlights and I gave the bunnies persimmon-ish dresses (or as close to it as I could get with my limited selection of pencils) then just lightly did some highlights and brown shadows, as these just happen to be cute little brown bunnies. 😜 I also gave them little pink ears and cheeks because look at them! How could I not?! 


I heat embossed the sentiment "best wishes and bubble kisses" from the same Bubble Over With Joy set. I used black embossing powder on some colored card stock that I think was the exact right match for the challenge color! I cut it down to a rectangle and used foam tape to pop up the sentiment in the center of the card. Then I adhered the bunnies and bubbles using Tombow Mono liquid glue. 


No card of mine can go un-sparkled, so I got out my Spectrum Noir shimmer pen in "aquamarine" and put little dots at the intersections of the embossed pattern, and made a simple line frame around the edge. I wish the color was a little less teal and a little more powder blue, and even though I used a ruler I still had some accidental flicks out of line. But all in all, I'm pleased with the result, and I'm proud of challenging myself. I'm just being an annoying perfectionist as usual! 😂😝 Has anyone else participated in this challenge? Anyone finding any of the combinations a little testing or that your creativity is being stretched? Or has anyone else created something cool with this stamp set? I'd like to know in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment