Friday, August 3, 2018

We Are Mint To Be

I remember many years ago, I was down about not getting something in the color I wanted (mint green) and my husband said "I guess it just wasn't 'mint' to be." I always remember that cheering me up, and I think about it all the time whenever I see mint, so when the new Simon Says Stamp release included this stamp set with the phrase "we are mint to be," I knew I had to make this card for my dear hubby!


I started by scoring and trimming an 8.5" x 11" piece of mint green card stock down to a 4.25" x 5.5" card base. I wanted a tattered look around the edges of the card face, so I used a ruler to help rip off about 1/4" of card stock on each side. Next, I stamped the amazing little terrarium from Simon Says Stamp's new "Plantiful Puns" stamp set using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I colored in the plants using the Copics below. I attempted to give the white space inside the terrarium the look of glass by coloring the edges with Copic B0000 (not pictured).


The frame below (containing alcohol ink artwork by my husband!) inspired me to make the terrarium edges metallic, but I was afraid of messing it all up by embossing. But when I was looking for inspiration, my husband suggested I emboss it gold, and us being on the same wavelength was enough to give me courage to try it anyway!


I used my Ranger clear embossing pen to fill in the lines of the terrarium. I have a hand tremor, so the line isn't as straight as it could be. It occurred to me that next time, I could probably line up my marker with a ruler for a bit straighter result. But I'm so glad I took the chance on embossing it, because I love the way it looks!


I finished up by mounting the white card face to the mint card base. I then stamped the "don't ever leaf me" sentiment using Memento Tuxedo Black in the bottom right corner, embossed "we are mint to be" in white on a piece of black card stock, trimmed it down, and popped it up with 1/4" foam squares in the top left corner for a bit of dimension. That's it for this relatively simple card. Do you have any particular stamp sets or sentiments that are special to you for little reasons like this? Leave a comment and tell me. I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment